5/26/2006

They Lied to Me

So I got the wires put on my braces this week. The orthodontist sent me home with a sheet of instructions and tips for dealing with them. My personal favorite quote is the following:

"You may feel some discomfort for a day or two after an adjustment. Over-the-counter pain medication will alleviate the discomfort."

Now when I think of "discomfort", I think of sitting in a straight-back chair for two hours, the pins-and-needles feeling after your foot falls asleep, or a case of underwear creep. What I am experiencing is pure, unadulterated pain. And it's day five. I've been popping ibuprofen like they're Pez, and the ibuprofen is about as effective as Pez. Except they don't taste as good.

The take-home lesson? If a doctor tells you that something will cause discomfort, they're lying to you. They just don't want to tell you that it'll hurt like hell.

No comments: