3/05/2006

The Things You Learn When You Flake Out

Recently, I've been feeling a bit restless - like when you're hungry for something but you can't figure out what it is. To top it off, I've been deeply disappointed by a few things lately. So, I did what any slightly off-kilter person does - I flaked out. I took off of work and took off. No plan of where to go or what to do. I just did whatever I felt like doing at the time. I guess I was trying to shake up my mind to get it to work properly again - much like hitting the TV to get it to work.

Where I went and what I did are too complicated to put in a post, but I will share some things I learned about myself during my brief odyssey:

  • I am good at designing ironwork railings. I can't actually make them, but I can come up with a cool design.
  • Once I get over my fear of heights ("Oh my God, I'm gonna DIE!!!"), I can put reclaimed wood shingles onto a roof without splitting every other one. Plus, I can make cool stuff with the leftover tin flashing (especially if I have good tin snips and a blowtorch).
  • I attract a lot of attention when I'm decked out in motorcycle-riding gear. This was both good and bad.
  • I am incapable of using paint in any application without getting some of it in my hair. Which is precisely why I stick to paint that washes out with soap and water.
  • I can get a nice sunburn in March when I accidentally fall asleep in full sun for 3 hours.
  • I love treehouses. Especially ones that have electricity, indoor plumbing, and satellite TV. I want one when I grow up.

All in all, it was a very liberating and educational experience. I highly recommend flaking out once in a while.

No comments: